The Sisters of St. Francis of the Neumann Communities, who claim St. Marianne Cope as one of their own, is a congregation of more than 470 vowed women religious whose Franciscan spirit motivates them to continue God's work and respond to God's people wherever there is a need. Together, the sisters serve in three countries and 14 U.S. states/territories.
The congregation was formed in 2004 through the union of three autonomous Franciscan congregations in Hastings-on-Hudson, Syracuse and Williamsville, N.Y. Subsequently a merger with the Franciscan congregation in Pittsburgh, Pa. occurred in 2007. Historically, all these communities share the same Franciscan heritage that grew out of a Philadelphia congregation founded by Sister Mary Francis Bachmann, Sister Mary Margaret Boll and Sister Bernardina Dorn with the guidance of St. John Neumann (then Bishop of Philadelphia) in 1855.
In addition, through their Partners in Franciscan Ministries, the Sisters of St. Francis have sponsored 20 of their own ministries as a means of furthering their mission of service for years to come. One of those ministries is the Change A Heart program which was founded in 1999 by the sisters as a means of passing on their Franciscan spirit to young lay people so they may further live out the Gospel values of service and justice among those who are marginalized.